Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
Director, Online Strategy
Jul 2010 – Mar 2018
Led Digital Marketing Communications Efforts:
- Oversaw development, design, management, and editing of 10,000-page external website, faculty/staff intranet, social media, online marketing efforts, and video production to promote academic business programs (undergrad, MBA, specialty masters, PhD, executive education), 12 business and research centers, career services, alumni, development, diversity and inclusion, human resources, global study, events, faculty directory, research, magazine, newsletters, blogs.
- Managed the school’s digital team: website designer, front-end Drupal developer, photographer- videographer, and up to seven MBA, undergrad and high school student workers/interns.
- Worked with 15-person MarComm team and trained/mentored 40+ colleagues on content strategy and established integrated marketing campaigns: website/microsite/landing pages, SEO/keywords, event/email marketing, advertising, social media, media outreach, news creation.
- Managed 25+ social media accounts via Hootsuite Enterprise System (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat geofilters).
- Analyzed website traffic using Google Analytics and refined SEO strategies, as needed.
- Developed innovative ways to increase website traffic and social media reach: contests, BuzzFeed-style articles, online quizzes, Instagram takeovers, Boomerang videos.
- Conducted workshops and consulted with faculty, students, partner companies, alumni, and administrators on best practices for personal branding and media relations.
- Worked with videographer to produce promotional, student-yield and community-building videos.
- Worked with team to develop intranet in Drupal for 500+ faculty and staff.
- Managed procurement process for all digital marketing RFPs and sole source requests.
- Led $200K branding and responsive web design project in Drupal with vendor, including development of a custom branding workshop for senior leaders which led to the establishment of four brand pillars, five attributes and a positioning statement.
- Partnered with IT department to establish an online helpdesk to manage website requests.
Guest Lectures & Speaking Engagements:
- Guest lecturer in UMD business courses (undergrad, MBA, Exec Ed) and career workshops on online branding, social media, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, SEO, and content strategy. (2012-18)
- Event planner and speaker at UMD’s annual #UMDsocial Conference. (2016-17)
- Speaker at Journalism Day (J-DAY) for the Maryland–D.C. Scholastic Press Association on online marketing and effective event coverage for high school students. (2014-16)
- Led summer course on Twitter for high school students in UMD’s SELF program. (2016)
- Brand to Web Higher-Ed Presentation: Council for Advancement & Support of Education (CASE) Marketing Conference; Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) National Conference; National Council for Marketing & Public Relations (NCMPR) Conference. (2014)
Recent Awards & Recognition:
- Top Holiday Video, Examiner.com (2015)
- Best Business School Holiday Video, Poets & Quants (2014)
- Top Five Business Schools on Twitter, Eduvantis Digital (2014) @SmithSchool
- 100 Most Social Media Friendly MBA Schools for UMD-Smith, OnlineMBAPage.com (2013)
- Best Business School Use of Social Media (#18), BizEd (2012)
- Platinum Award – Celebrating Rudy Lamone – Specialty Web/Microsite, MarCom Awards (2012)
- Best B-school Twitter Feed of the Year @SmithSchool, B2BTOTY (2011, Runner-up 2010 & 2012)
Director, Digital & Print Communications
Jan 2004 – Jun 2010
- Oversaw development, design, management, and editing of all Smith School websites, alumni magazine, print newsletters, e-newsletters, video, podcasts, and internal communications.
- Managed communications team: writer/editor, website developer/designer, website/video coordinator, business analyst, internal communications manager, and student workers.
- Launched the school’s Center for Financial Policy – managing all marketing efforts for the center.
- Initiated and managed social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest.
- Led blogging initiative for MBA students and faculty members using WordPress.
- Managed business school rankings and survey data collection and conducted competitive and data analysis to suggest strategies for improvement.
- Managed $200K “Leaders for the Digital Economy” branding initiative, including a new graphic identity and redesigned U.S. website and Chinese website (bilingual/Mandarin) (2004); led in-house website redesign effort (2008); and agency-produced website refresh (2010).
- Created weekly e-newsletters for faculty, staff and students to improve internal communication.
- Conducted usability testing (click streams, eye tracker) during all website redesign projects.
Assistant Dean/Exec Director (Acting), Marketing Communications
Jan – Jun 2008
- Led 10-person team in strategic marketing and communications outreach; developed key priorities for FY 2008-09 and prepared $2M budget; served as chief communications officer, working with all units in the school and collaborating with campus officials on UMD initiatives.
- Wrote official communications, speeches; orchestrated launch of school’s new dean in May 2008.
Manager, Web Communications
Jan 2000 – Dec 2003
- Served as website manager, graphic designer, writer/editor, photographer, videographer.
- Managed and launched the first comprehensive website for school using HTML initially, then FrontPage, including the first online faculty expert directory and school intranet.
- Produced monthly alumni e-newsletter; wrote for alumni magazine (three/year, circulation 40K) and faculty research newsletter (quarterly) and created first online editions of publications.
Automotive Service Association (ASA)
Website Manager/ Communications Specialist
Jan 1997 – Dec 1999
- Managed digital marketing and award-winning ASA website, International Autobody Congress & Exposition (NACE) website (four languages), and related websites in HTML. (Membership 15K).
- Managed online advertising and negotiated sponsorships, alliances and affiliate programs.
- Wrote monthly column on web marketing and other articles for AutoInc. (circulation 20K).
- Developed online surveys, compiled/analyzed data, wrote national press releases on findings.
- Wrote, edited, designed, and evaluated all web promotional pieces (direct mail, brochures, ads).
- Provided technical support and online consulting services for members, consumers and staff.
- Worked ASA-sponsored international tradeshows (45K attendees): booth demos, workshop presentations, member consultations, and online daily show publication production.
- Improved internal communications by creating a four-page printed newsletter in QuarkXPress.
McGraw-Hill Companies, F.W. Dodge Division
Construction News Reporter
Aug 1994 – Jun 1996
- Gathered construction information from 80+ federal, state and military sources in Maryland and Delaware for “Dodge Reports,” a national construction news service.
Education: University of Maryland, College Park
2010 Executive MBA, Robert H. Smith School of Business (#10 EMBA, U.S., Financial Times, 2018)
1994 B.A., Philip Merrill College of Journalism, concentration in advertising, minor in psychology
- AP Style; Google Analytics; Hootsuite; Drupal; WordPress; HTML; Adobe Creative Suite Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign; MS Word, Excel, PPT; Salesforce; TaskRay.